BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN
The de-escalation of Negros Occidental alert level status after the conduct of a vaccination drive maybe requested if the vaccination status improves, disclosed Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson yesterday.
Negros Occidental remains at Alert Level status 2, with only cities of La Carlota, Sagay and Victorias, municipalities of EB Magalona, San Enrique, Candoni and Pulupandan, as well as highly urbanized Bacolod City, under Alert Level 1 from June 1- 15, according to Inter Agency Task Force (IATF) Resolution No. 168.
Lacson said it was on May 25 that Negros Occidental had 19 cases, but since then it has gone down to one to three cases a day.
He expects the 19 cases will soon get well.
The provincial government-initiated vaccination activities are set to start on June 2 and 3, and every Thursday and Friday of the week for the whole month. However, for the fourth week of June, it will be June 20 and 21.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Ernell Tumimbang said that successive province wide vaccinations will cater those that are yet to be vaccinated, as well as those about to receive second doses and booster shots.
Records of the Provincial Health Office show that 74 percent of the more than 1.8 million Negrenses targeted for inoculation are now fully vaccinated.
On May 17, the Department of Health (DOH) reported that it detected the local transmission of the highly contagious Omicron subvariant BA.2.12.1, of which three cases were reported in Western Visayas.
Tumimbang said that the existence of Omicron subvariant in Iloilo is a “cause of concern” as it is near Negros Occidental, noting that the province has already opened its borders, with less restrictions to incoming travelers.*