DUE to the existing clustering of Covid-19 cases, 20 establishments in Davao City are set to be placed under lockdown this week, an official from the Covid-19 Task Force revealed on Thursday, July 1.
Covid-19 Task Force spokesperson Dr. Michelle Schlosser said in a radio interview that the number includes private and public offices and establishments.
Schlosser said they imposed a lockdown on establishments that failed to provide and declare an honest and comprehensive close contact line list to the District Health Officer Contact Tracer.
In addition, establishments that are not imposing health protocols in their premises were also subjected to lockdown.
She said they also consider establishments with clustering cases for violating health protocols.
“Kung naa sila’y cases na (If they have existing cases, that are) significantly high, more or less violator gyud sila kay ngano naa man sila’y cases. Meaning wala gyud siguro nila na-follow ang (they are violators because, in the first place, they wouldn’t have cases if protocols were followed. This means, they were not able to abide by the) minimum health protocols,” Schlosser said.
She said prior to the imposition of the lockdown, some establishments were given a 24-hour warning.
However, based on the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) Zoning Containment Strategy, the official said there is no issuance of warning or notification.
“Once nga naa (there is an) increasing cases of Covid[-19] sa imong (in your) establishment, supposedly or ideally, right there and then, i-lockdown na sila (the place should be placed on lockdown),” she said.
“Pinakalit siya para dili sila makatago og information (It should be abruptly enforced so they won’t be able to hide information). But the Covid[-19] Task Force is mas gusto nila compassionate man gud ang team (they give consideration since the team is compassionate),” she added.
While they are adopting IATF’s containment strategy, she said the District Health Office is also conducting a risk assessment.
Despite having several active cases in their establishment, the health district will assess on the ground if they are “high risk” of causing massive transmission.
“Isa sa ginatan-aw is ang structure mismo sa (One of the consideration is the structure of the) building, if the minimum health protocols are being followed, kung naa ba sila’y (if they have existing) work arrangement, naa ba sila’y (if they follow) social distancing, kani ang mga (these are) several things nga gina-risk assess sa atong (that is being risk-assessed on the) ground level nga mga (of our) doctors and medical frontliners,” she said.
Once they complied, there is a huge chance that the 20 listed establishments will not push through with the lockdown, and instead, conduct decontamination, and swabbing of individuals that are in closed contact.
Meanwhile, Schlosser declined to name the establishments.
The official said this is to “eradicate stigma” especially to those who tested positive for coronavirus.
“In this period of time, there is no one to blame. Ang nahitabo is that isa sa mga difficulty sa mga nagpositibo na tao is to come out na positibo sila kay ang tan-aw sa tao sila is naa silay sala, sila ang dahilan, tungod sa ila, naay spread (What is happening is there is difficulty on the part of the positive patient to come out positive because people treat them as if they are at the ones causing the spread of the virus),” she said.
Schlosser said the city is strictly monitoring the compliance of offices and establishments in enforcing health protocols to curb the spread of the transmission.
City Health Office (CHO) Acting Head Dr. Ashley Lopez previously said more than half of the Covid-19 transmission is happening in workplaces, contributing to the current surge of cases in the city.
The city noted a huge clustering of cases in government offices and private establishments.
The CHO recently lifted the lockdown of three big BPO companies in the city, which recorded several Covid-19 positive cases.
Lopez said the BPO firms, along with commercial banks, were among offices and workplaces that logged high incidences of Covid-19 cases, which resulted in them being locked down.
However, the CHO recently reported that transmission on workplaces has began to decline and that cases of community transmission are slowly contributing to the current surge of cases in the city.
Lopez said around 60 percent of the current cases in the city are coming from community transmission, particularly in households.