THE camp of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio did not show up on the last day of the certificate of candidacy (COC) filing, ending speculations on her possible presidential run in the 2022 national elections.
Photos from various social media accounts, including some from the media, circulated that the Presidential daughter was in Manila on Friday, October 8. This resulted in some speculating that she will be filing her COC as president at the Harbor Garden Tent of the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila in Pasay City.
However, Davao City Information Office head Jefry Tupas belied the photos circulating.
“Where’s the fact-checking? Basic in journalism — verify, verify, verify. Definitely not Mayor Inday,” Tupas wrote in his Facebook post with a screenshot of a social media post of a national broadsheet.
Duterte-Carpio, around 1:30 p.m., posted on her official Facebook page, a statement thanking her supporters for supporting her.
“I have been honored with the gift of trust and respect of many of our fellow Filipinos. A gift that is one in a million. Thank you to everyone who have expressed their support,” the mayor said.
“Many of you do not know me and yet you carry me over your shoulders. Like the other millions of Filipinos, I share with you the same goal of living a peaceful and prosperous life in our country, today and in the many years to come,” the mayor added.
She ended her message, reiterating her position that she will not be running for any national position as she will remain in Davao City to finish her third and last term as city mayor.
“I am presenting myself to the Dabawenyos as Mayor for the third and last time in my life as a politician. I call on everyone to work together for an honest, orderly, and credible elections in May 2022,” she said.
A day before the last day of filing, the mayor also reiterated that she wanted to finish her mayoral term.
She also apologized to her friends and supporters for her decision not to run despite various calls from parallel groups, prodding her to run for the highest post.
However, some of her supporters believe that their call is not yet over as the substitution of candidates will end on November 15.
Meanwhile, lawyer Mohammad Fyzee Alim, Commission on Elections-Davao City Second District election officer, told the media after the official closing of the COC that the overall filing for the past eight days had been “peaceful,” and no major problems were encountered.
Alim said the official posting of the names of candidates will be released on October 29.
Withdrawal of candidacy will be until November 15.