TUGUEGARAO CITY, Cagayan – The Department of Trade and Industry has released the guidelines and health protocols for barbershop and salon for the re-opening of the establishments starting June 7, 2020.
Based on the recommendation of Inter-Agency Task Force for Corona virus disease 2029 (IATF-COVID-19), salons and barbershops may re-open on General Community Quarantine (GCQ) and Modified GCQ (MGCQ) areas in the country.
Guidelines say that the establishments should follow minimum health standards.
Posting of information at the entrance and other prominent or conspicuous areas about the following:
- Mandatory wearing of face masks at all times;
- Social distancing protocols of the establishment;
- Regular sanitation schedule and procedures (a 10-minute interval for sanitation in between clients is required);
- Availability of alternative methods of payment, if applicable;
- Availability of alternative methods of scheduling appointments (e.g., online, textmessaging system);
- Client-personnel interaction protocols;
- Policy against the bringing of companions, unless absolutely necessary; and
- Enforcement measures for clients who refuse to comply with the protocols in a manner consistent with the law.
Requiring the placing of the following at the entrance:
- Floor mat or foot bath with disinfectant
- Thermal scanner (i.e., for temperature reading)
- Alcohol that can be easily sprayed on the clients’ hands
- Health checklist to be distributed to all clients
- A system where the personal effects of clients, including bags, jackets, and gadgets, are disinfected and deposited in secured sanitary plastic bags
- Face shields to be distributed to clients if they availed shampoo services
Enforcement of the following protocols concerning equipment found in the workplace:
- Distancing of chairs to at least one (1) meter apart on all sides;
- Visible floor markings for guidance of clients;
- Proper ventilation;
- Personal effects of personnel should be placed in plastic bags stored in an area inaccessible to clients; · Face masks readily available for sale, or otherwise, to clients;
- Sanitizing equipment and tools that are visible to clients;
- Sterilization of workstation before and after each service;
- Pieces of furniture that are made of porous materials must be covered in plastic for ease of sanitation; and
- Strict use of disposable-only menus, reading materials, and magazines.
Enforcement of the following protocols concerning employees in the workplace:
- No personnel with COVID-19 symptoms or with exposure to COVID-19 patients shall be allowed to work;
- No wearing of pieces of jewelry (e.g., rings, bracelets, watches, earrings, exposed body piercings);
- Observance of proper personal hygiene (e.g., clipped fingernails, observance of company-imposed personal sanitation);
- Mandatory wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE) including, but not limited to: – Face mask – Face shield – Eye glasses – Gloves – Hair caps
- Mandatory wearing of closed shoes;
- Observance of the proper disposal of single-use supplies (e.g., cotton balls, popsicle sticks, tissue);
- Observance and enforcement of the client-personnel interaction protocols;
- Mandatory declaration of health and whereabouts prior to every duty in case contact tracing becomes necessary; and
- Frequent handwashing/sanitizing.
Requiring the following procedures upon exit:
- No physical contact during payment – Personnel are provided with small trays for accepting cash; and – Ensure that clients who prefer to use an alternative mode of payment are able to do so.
- Regular sanitation of high-contact areas and surfaces (e.g., pens used for filling out forms, door handles, common tables)
According to DTI, barbershops and salons need to comply before they will be allowed to operate again. This will be the new normal. Please wait for further announcements on the date of reopening.